So finally…after bugging and bugging and bugging, it payed off. Friday morning dawned and Scott, Bob, myself and the ever intrepid captain Tim packed the boat up and headed off to the famous site “Furuno”. This is a large area about 30 miles offshore, primarily used as a fishing ground. We had heard rumours that in various places it hit bottom at 130 – 150ft hence in my eyes…so diveable. We put a dive plan together for a 140- 150ft dive with a good mix, deco bottles and headed over the side, with no idea what to expect. We dropped down our line and arrived at around 139ft. We had passed through quite a big thermocline at 90ft so were half expecting viz and temperature to be pretty unbearable, but it cleared up and we had a clear view of the bottom. With a temperature of 68 F I was glad I had on my 5mm suit!! We had a clear view all around us of the bottom, about 50ft in each direction and what we saw was a very flat plateau, with lots of small corals and rocks all over. There were a few small fans, and quite a few trigger fish so I think we were definately on a nesting ground. We started to head across the plateau, drifting with the current and the bottom stayed pretty much the same, with a couple of morays, few jacks etc. After about 20 minutes we decided to head up and start our deco. After a deep stop we headed to about 60ft. I was just checking my schedule, when my Tec dive buddy, tapped my arm and pointed. I turned around to see cruising past, about 7 ft in length, a huge, beautiful Marlin. I think the sound of my joyful screaming scared him off, as he swum past into the blue. Ever since I heard that this place was diveable, and heard tales of the “monsters” that could be “down there!” I always dreamed of seeing something amazing, like a Marlin, and here he was! After he dissapeared, we came across a school of large snapper before heading back to the surface with huge smiles on our faces. The second team to head in was Scott and Tim, and after our experience with the current, we decided to drop them on one side and follow them across the plateau. On their dive, they encountered what can only be described as a “carpet” of snappers and jacks, and all of a considerable size.
The day ended well with a cruise back to Quepos and a bunch of dolphins jumping along the way. As the first adventurous divers to ever see the site underwater we were extremely proud of ourselves, but there is so much more to see. Who knows what monsters we may meet next time!